These days, it's important to save money where you can, and your life insurance costs are no exception. Luckily for Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) members, rates for Military Officers Association of America (MOAA's) traditional Leader Term Life Plan continue to be affordable. You can save even more money if you're currently relying on Veterans' Group Life Insurance (VGLI) for your family's coverage. That's because VGLI's similar product insurance can cost more than twice as much as Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader Life coverage.1
Your status as a Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) member combined with the immense buying power of more than 380,000 uniformed services officers helped Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) secure valuable benefits for you and your family. These high-caliber benefits are automatically included in your Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader Plan.
- You are protected 24 hours a day, 365 days a year even if you're flying in a military aircraft.
- Your loved ones can immediately collect $2,500 to use as they see fit to pay for plane tickets for family members, make phone calls to relatives, or to help tie up loose ends. This valuable "advance benefit" will be sent to your family upon request after notification of your death as long as your protection has been in force at least two years. Your remaining life insurance benefits will be paid as soon as the rest of the paperwork is accepted.
- If you are a Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) member leaving active duty, you're guaranteed acceptance for up to $110,000 of Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader protection if you're under age 50 and enroll within 90 days after the date of your discharge. If you are age 50 or over, you are guaranteed acceptance for up to $55,000 of protection if you're enrolling within 90 days after the date of your discharge. (Of course, you also have the right to apply for additional Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader protection.) No matter what your age, your discharge must not be health or disability-related.
- Your family can take advantage of the savings, too. As a matter of fact, many officers take advantage of their Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) membership to secure the affordable group rates for insurance on their spouse's2 life.
- Your premium payments will be waived if a Sickness or Injury leads to a Total Disability as defined in the Certificate that keeps you from working at your current job. This is as long as your disability starts before age 60 while you are covered under the group policy and you stay Totally Disabled for at least six consecutive months. Your full Leader benefits continue at 100% and you owe nothing. The amount of your insurance will be based on the amount active at the time of disability and will be subject to the standard decreases at age 60.
- You can collect up to 50% of your Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader Benefit Amount for an "Early Payout" before you die if your doctor certifies that you are Terminally Ill, as defined in the certificate with less than twelve months to live and your premiums are paid. Receipt of accelerated benefits may be taxable. Please seek assistance from your personal tax advisor for more information.
- Voya Travel Assistance Service.3 What if you and your family are traveling (more than 100 miles from your home — even abroad) and you’re in an accident, lose your passport or need other assistance? This program can provide pre-trip information and can help you deal with potential problems you may have while traveling at no additional cost to you. Think of this as your own personal travel assistance team on-call 24 hours a day, every day, from anywhere you might be that’s away from home, or even abroad!
- Funeral Planning & Concierge Service.4 In the event of your death, your surviving spouse2 and children (under age 26) are eligible for funeral planning assistance from trained advisors at no additional cost to you.
Your Leader protection will start on the first day of the month after your application has been approved by the insurer and your first premium has been paid. If you send a check with your application, your Leader coverage will begin on the first day of the month after your application is approved.
Your spouse2 will automatically be the beneficiary for your Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Life coverage. If your spouse2 is no longer living, your benefits will be paid to your children, parents, brothers and sisters, or estate (in that order). You will automatically be the beneficiary for your spouse's2 and children's protection. If you'd like to designate a different beneficiary, please notify the plan administrator.
You can keep your Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader coverage for as long as you want no matter what your health as long as you remain a Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) member, pay your premiums on time and the Group Policy stays in force. Your spouse2 can keep his or her coverage for as long as their premiums are paid on time, their coverage has not expired, the group policy stays in force and they are not legally separated or divorced from you. Your children’s coverage will terminate once they no longer qualify as an eligible Dependent.
The only exclusion to the life coverage is suicide within the first two years of coverage or increase in coverage begins. Benefits paid for death caused by suicide, while sane or insane, within the first two years of the effective date of the insurance are limited to a refund of the premiums paid for the insured's insurance.
The Leader Plan can also help protect you if you have health problems. As a Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) member under age 60, you can qualify for the $10,000 Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Leader Silver Plan as long as you have been working for the past 90 days. This coverage features many of the same benefits found in the standard Leader Plan with important protection that increases from $2,000 to $10,000 over five years.
Monthly Group Rates per $10,000 in Coverage
|Up to $245,000
*Preferred Non-tobacco rates are not available for coverage amounts less than $100,000.
|Monthly Group Rates per $10,000 in Coverage
|$250,000 to $1,000,000
$1 a month provides coverage for all your eligible children. Children 15 days to under 6 months are eligible for $1,000 coverage and children 6 months to 21 years (or 25 if enrolled full-time in an institution of higher learning) are eligible for $10,000 coverage.
You qualify for non-tobacco rates if you haven't smoked cigarettes, cigars or used a pipe or chewing tobacco, nicotine product or snuff during the 12 months prior to the date you apply for coverage. Non-tobacco users meeting the highest underwriting standards may qualify for the Preferred (the Plan’s best) rates. Other non-tobacco users may qualify for Standard rates. Your individual premium is determined at each premium due date and is based on your benefit level, attained age and tobacco status. Premiums increase upon entry into a new 5-year age bracket.
For your convenience, you'll be billed quarterly.
Rates shown are guaranteed until March 1, 2018. After that date, benefits and/or rates may be changed for all persons covered by this plan. You cannot be singled out for a rate increase or a change in benefits and we will notify you in advance in writing of any changes.
|Your age determines the maximum amount of coverage you can apply for:
||Maximum benefit available**
|Under Age 50
**Your coverage reduces to $550,000 on your first premium due date on or after your 60th birthday if you have more than $550,000 of coverage. Coverage reduces to $80,000 on your 70th birthday if you have more than $80,000 of coverage. At age 80, your coverage reduces to an $11,000 benefit.
Details – This is a listing of highlights for this Insurance plan. Be sure to review the entire website for a detailed plan description.
|Type of Insurance:
||Group Term Life Insurance
||Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) members and dependents
||ReliaStar Life Insurance Company,
a member of the Voya® family of companies.
|Policy Form Number:
||Through age 74
||Premiums are based on age at issue, and premiums increase upon entry into a new 5-year age bracket.
||You qualify for non-tobacco rates if you haven’t smoked cigarettes, cigars or used a pipe or chewing tobacco, nicotine product or snuff during the 12 months prior to the date you apply for coverage.
|Waiver of Premium:
||Your premium payments will be waived if a Sickness or Injury leads to a Total Disability, as defined in the Certificate, that keeps you from working at your current job.
||Can apply for maximum benefit amount as stated above. Minimum benefit available is $10,000.
||$1.00 a month protects all your eligible children. Children 15 days to under 6 months are eligible for $1,000 coverage and children 6 months to 21 years (or 25 if enrolled full-time in an institution of higher learning) are eligible for $10,000.
1 MOAA's Leader Term Life Preferred Non-tobacco rates and Standard Non-tobacco rates are often lower than VGLI until age 75. MOAA's Leader Term Life Standard Tobacco rates are often lower than VGLI until age 70.
http://www.benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/vgli_rates_new.asp. Viewed 03/03/16.
2 Spouse includes domestic partner in the state of Oregon.
3 Voya Travel Assistance Services provided by Europ Assistance USA, Bethesda, MD 20814.
4 Funeral Planning and Concierge Services provided by Everest Funeral Package, LLC, Houston, TX 77056.
In order to become insured, evidence of insurability satisfactory to the insurer, must be provided and the required premium must be paid.
This is a summary of benefits only. A complete description of benefits, limitations, exclusions and termination of coverage will be provided in the certificate of coverage. All coverage is subject to the terms of the group policy. If there is any discrepancy between this document and the group policy documents, the policy documents will govern.
Insurance coverage and availability may differ by state. For complete plan details, please contact the Program Administrator, MOAA Insurance Plans at 1-800-247-2192, Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Central Time.